Monday, April 15, 2024

Thoughts on The Strange Library - Yelin Yao

 

            Bros, why does the girl always have to die? And why does she have to be a metaphor for something? I just want the pretty girl to survive and be happy for once.

            On a serious note, the beginning of A Strange Library reminded me of the Magnus Archives, a horror podcast I listened to during quarantine. They are similar in the way that knowledge has a particular supernatural power in that universe: the desire to learn something by reading a book or listening to an audio tape can itself put a character at risk. Another similarity is the way the narrator comes to embody the people he reads stories about, like how, in the jail cell, the boy became the Ottoman tax collector from the book.

I also appreciate the uncanny atmosphere in both stories. Normal seeming people turn out to be hiding something sinister, and the main character is guided into a situation that slowly strays further and further away from normalcy until it ends in something outright scary. Murakami’s story begins in a library in daylight, and through escalating capitulations to social pressure, ends in a dark jail cell.

            One question I have is about the food our narrator eats while imprisoned. It seems to include cuisine from multiple different European countries. Why Spanish mackerel and then Toulouse sausage? And why doughnuts and grape juice (both reoccurring Murakami foods) again?   


Yelin Yao

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Green Monster, the Houseguest, and Magical Realism - Peter

 Shortly after reading Murakami’s story The Little Green Monster, I read Amparo Davila’s short story The Houseguest and it struck me that th...