Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Thoughts on Norwegian Wood Movie - Wilson Zhang

    I always prefer the original source material instead of the adaptation, but the movie was a well made adaptation of the book. Sometimes, I see how some scenes were made pretty close to the novel, but there are portions of the movie that were not really within my expectation. The most memorable unexpected scene was when Toru visited Midori’s place and, as they talked, they would walk around. When I was reading it, I had imagined it to be more of a serious mood where they talked face-to-face.

    Though, a more positive unexpectedness was how in-depth they showed Kazuki’s suicide. The novel sort of mentions the death, but not particularly in how he sets up the suicide. I do believe that this was a good addition since Kazuki was such an important part to the story as it served as the turning point for both Toru and Naoko. With the vivid depiction of his suicide, the story was more impactful as viewers can see Kazuki’s pain. I see it being so impactful in the movies because of how awkward and their avoidance of talking about Kazuki really showed through in the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Green Monster, the Houseguest, and Magical Realism - Peter

 Shortly after reading Murakami’s story The Little Green Monster, I read Amparo Davila’s short story The Houseguest and it struck me that th...