Generally, I felt that the portion of the film we watched in class was a good representation of Murakami’s story. The film moved quickly over many details in the novel, but I feel like that is the norm for film adaptations (can’t translate everything into the movie or it would be hours long, right?). I think the movie was a bit boring, but the novel isn’t very action-packed either. However, it seems that the film Reiko has less of a role than the book Reiko (based on the few scenes at the Ami Hostel we watched) - I’m curious to see if this diluted role continues, or if Reiko will have more of a pronounced role as the film goes on.
Thursday, March 7, 2024
Norwegian Wood Film - The Importance of Music (Anna)
I thought the best part of the film was the soundtrack. While it didn’t always match the mood of a particular scene, it was related to the music that Murakami mentions in his writing. I thought this was very powerful and it made me realize just how much music is mentioned in Norwegian Wood. As a reader, I didn’t take the time to pause my reading, find the songs mentioned, and play them while reading the book. Not taking the time to listen to the music from the novel led me to miss out on fully experiencing the story. I’m happy that I was able to explore the musical dimension of the story through watching the film.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Green Monster, the Houseguest, and Magical Realism - Peter
Shortly after reading Murakami’s story The Little Green Monster, I read Amparo Davila’s short story The Houseguest and it struck me that th...
-
Shortly after reading Murakami’s story The Little Green Monster, I read Amparo Davila’s short story The Houseguest and it struck me that th...
-
Fever dreams are characterized by bizarre, often unpleasant dreams that sleeping people experience during a fever. My experience of ‘fever d...
No comments:
Post a Comment