Saturday, March 30, 2024

Murakami & The Musical Subconscious

Because I looked at 1962/1983 Girl From Ipanema for the essay, I thought it would be interesting to look at “Charlie Parker Plays Bossa Nova” for this post. In “Haruki Murakami and the Music of Words,” Jay Rubin states that music serves as a vehicle to explore the character’s deep psyche. Given that this story was based on a hypothetical album, it is hard to turn to the music to search for this deep connection to the subconscious. However, it is also this imaginary music that I believe holds the key to the story. The playful article Boku writes in college is a symbol for the life or choices that passed him by. Passingly, Boku says how his life “more harried and busy than I’d ever imagined” (62). In my opinion, this represents Boku having big dreams and ambitions for himself, but as reality of the ‘real world’ crept in, he soon forgot all about his ambitions. Furthermore, once he comes across the record fifteen years later, he once again walks away from the record, stating $35 is too much for a ‘bogus’ recording. When faced with the daunting reality of having the opportunity to manifest his ambitions in real life, he points to flimsy reasons to back away. Finally, the story ends with Charlie Parker visiting Boku in his dreams, concluding that even though he walked away from his dreams and imaginations, it still lies deep within his subconscious.

-Jayde

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Green Monster, the Houseguest, and Magical Realism - Peter

 Shortly after reading Murakami’s story The Little Green Monster, I read Amparo Davila’s short story The Houseguest and it struck me that th...